A few things need to be kept in mind when you are buying an air compressor on Amazon since there are so many different types on the market.
What you intend to use it for is one of the main factors that need to be taken into consideration while selecting one. The source of power, size and how affordable it is are some of the other things that need to be kept in mind as well.
Here are a few of the factors that you will need to keep in mind when you are thinking about how to buy an air compressor:
This is an important factor when it comes to air compressors. There are two main types-portable and stationary and you can opt for either depending on which type is best suited for your needs.
- Portable air compressors come in a number of sizes and shapes. While some are light, making them easy to be carried around, there are those that are larger in size and bulkier but come with wheels to make it easy for you to move them around from place to place.
- The application you have in mind will determine how much power you need. For example, if you need an air compressor for inflating tires, you should get a light-weight one. For more intense applications like power for a nail gun for frames, you will need one that supplies more power and will be more heavy-weight.
- Stationary air compressors are designed in such a way that they need to be bolted to the area that you work in. They are wired directly to the work area’s electrical circuit. They come up with 60 to 80 gallon tanks and motors of 4 to 10 horsepower or HP. They suit workshops and garages the best as they make it easier to work with tools and give high performance.
Source of Power
Choosing the power or fuel source is the next step. Air compressors either use electricity or gasoline as their source of power.
· Electric air compressors run on voltage that is between 110V to 120V. You need to keep in mind that air compressors exceed 2HP (horsepower) need an outlet of about 220V to 240V. For applications that are done indoors, this type of compressor makes a better choice as it does not give out harmful fumes.
· Air compressors that run on gas are used mainly by remodelers and builders due to the high performance that they provide. They are best used outdoors or in work-areas that are very well-ventilated as they emit fumes.
It is extremely important to consider the performance of the air compressor that you are looking to purchase. The amount of air that the compressor delivers is measured in Standard Cubic Feet per Minute, also known as SCFM. The pressure of the air in the compressor, which is measured in Pounds per Square Inch or PSI, determines the changes in SCFM.
· Tools that are smaller require up to 5 SCFM.
· Larger tools require 10 or more SCFM.
· For use in the household, compressors that are light-duty and have about 90PSI are sufficient.
· For more heavy duty tasks, powerful compressors that have about 150 PSI and above are ideal.
Size of the Tank
This is an important factor when it comes to buying an air compressor as it is the tank which determines how long you can use your air tools. You can find tanks of different sizes holding anywhere from 1 gallon to 80 gallons.
· For air tools that need high volumes of air to perform continuously, you will need a tank that is large in size.
· For tools that do not need a lot of air, you can get a tank that holds 2 to 6 gallons.
Other features that you need to keep in mind are the pump type, air-cooling system, overload switch, roll cage, etc. Once all these are considered and checked, you can buy an air compressor that is ideal for the work that you have in mind.
See some of the best selling air compressors on Amazon and remember, with Amazon prime membership, you can get heavier items than these rapidly shipped for free.